English as A Second Language (ESL) Specialist
Dr. Betsy Craig, ESL Specialist at Furman, is here to help faculty and international students with any academic challenges brought on by language and/or cultural differences. Services include:
- One-on-one academic writing
support for students needing help with specific language issues such as
grammar, mechanics, and punctuation to enhance clarity, cohesion, and
- Workshops for academic skills such as listening,
note-taking, reading, speaking, presentation, pronunciation, and
academic vocabulary for English as a second language learners.
support for classroom writing instruction in common areas of difficulty
for college writers including: paraphrasing/summarizing, plagiarism avoidance, subject/verb agreement, pronoun/antecedent agreement, verb tense consistency, and stylistic devices.
This office is also where students will come for
plagiarism tutorials when in violation of Furman's academic integrity policies.
Check out some of Dr. Craig's Writing Teaching for ELLs for web (PowerPoint file).
How to Make an Appointment with Dr. Craig
be made with Dr. Craig by accessing her calendar via Success@Furman.
- Log in to MyFurman.
- Click on the
- Once in Success@Furman, click on the Services tab.
- Then click on the Center for Academic Success.
- Scroll down until you see Dr. Craig's information.
- Click on Schedule an Appointment.
Her office hours are Monday through Friday:
If you need to see Dr. Craig outside of these hours, please, contact
her directly via email at email@example.com.
- 9:00AM to 1:00PM
- 2:00PM to 4:00PM
Available Services for International Students
We now offer supplemental learning opportunities specifically for ESL students. Workshops will be held weekly for specific skill enhancement such as listening, note-taking, speaking, and critical thinking practice.
We are also available to help you individually in the following areas:
- taking notes from academic lectures
- participating in classroom discussions
- increasing reading speed and comprehension
- building content-area vocabulary
- giving classroom presentations
- speaking clearly
- writing for an academic American audience
- self-editing for grammatical accuracy
Furman faculty are encouraged to refer ESL students directly to Dr. Craig for any academic skill enhancement they may need.